Road safety: How to avoid hydroplaning.

In a tropical climate such as Seychelles, downpours are quite common and as drivers we often think very little of it. We all know to exert caution on the road, especially when the roads and wet and slick. However, we’ve all been in a situation where we’re in a hurry and drive a little too fast.

In these situations, it is easy to lose traction over water while driving, and actually skimming or sliding on the surface of that water. This is called hydroplaning, and can be a frightening experience because it results in loss of control of the car.

In order to avoid such a scenario, here is what you can do as a driver to avoid hydroplaning:

  • Maintain your tires – make sure the tread is good and that they are properly inflated.
  • Slow down when it rains. Even a light rain can be hazardous, particularly in the first few minutes as rainfall mixes with oils on the road surface.
  • Avoid standing water where possible.
  • If you have the option to, disable cruise control on wet roads and when raining.
  • Increase the following distance between you and the car ahead.
  • If you do hydroplane, stay calm, ease off the accelerator, and don’t make any sudden moves that may cause a spin out.

Make sure that your motor vehicle policy is always valid, it’s the only way to ensure that you are protected in the event of an accident.

Need to renew your policy?

Pay us a visit at our branches (Maison Esplanade – Victoria, Pension Complex –Baie St. Anne Praslin, Green Corner –Providence)  or call us on 429 5000 or send an email to We’ll be more than happy to help!

Why can’t I purchase regular Travel Insurance instead of Student Travel Insurance?

Basically a holiday trip insurance will not provide sufficient protection for your abroad studies or internship as they are designed for shorter travels and therefore may not meet the needs of an academic program. Especially in countries where student travel insurance is a must, regular travel insurance will not be accepted as a substitute.

Depending on your travel destination and type of visa, you may be asked to provide confirmation of applicable health insurance when entering the country.

As an international student, you will no doubt have plans to go exploring other countries, and will undoubtedly come back home to visit family as some point. This means that you will be breaking up your travels over the course of a year. You will need to purchase travel insurance with every trip if you opt not to get a Student Travel Insurance Plan which will end up costing you more in the long run. Whereas the Student  Travel Plan is an annual policy for multi-trips within 1-year period, worldwide, if your studies is for more than 1 year, you can renew your policy annually either in Seychelles or from overseas before it expires. To note that if the policy has expired, it cannot be renewed from overseas so you need to ensure renewal before expiry. At renewal, you will need to provide evidence that you are still a student.

Hopefully this has cleared up any doubts or uncertainties that you may have, and has outlined the importance of choosing an appropriate insurance policy. If you still have questions, one of our staff would be more than happy to discuss them with you.

Simply call us on 429 5000 or send an email to and an officer will get back to you. Alternatively you can pay us a visit at our branches (Maison Esplanade – Victoria, Pension Complex –Baie St. Anne Praslin, Green Corner –Providence)  

Which Student Travel Insurance Plan is better for me, the Classic or the Premium?

The first thing you need to know is that the Sacos Student Travel insurance is backed by Mapfre Assistencia: a global insurance company that operates worldwide. Therefore both the classic and the premium plan is designed to provide you with the protection you would expect from a comprehensive travel insurance that is supported by a 24 hour international call center service. That said, whichever plan you opt for will depend entirely on your needs.

Both plans offer worldwide coverage, although the amount covered differ.

The main differences between the two plans:

The Classic Student Travel Insurance Plan has a limit of USD30,000 for Emergency Medical Evacuation whereas the Premium Plan has a limit of USD50,000. If you incur any medical expense including hospitalisation while you are studying abroad, the limit on your Classic Plan will be USD60,000, with excess of USD50.

In contrast, the Premium Student Travel Insurance Plan is capped at USD100,000, with excess of USD50. The Classic Plan has a limitation of USD15,000 for the repatriation of mortal remains, whilst the Premium Plan has a limit of USD25,000 .

How will I know which plan is best for me?

Here are some things you may want to consider when deciding on a plan:


Where are you travelling to?

You may want to consider the safety level of the country you are travelling to, and the level of Healthcare on offer. European countries may be better equipped for medical emergencies, therefore you may be adequately protected on a Classic Insurance Plan

How long will you be away for?

The minimum time away in order to be eligible for the Sacos Student Travel Insurance is 3 months. If you are going away for your a degree which takes 3 years, we highly recommend opting for the Premium Cover as it will offer higher protection.

Regardless of which plan you opt for, you should bear these in mind:

  • Your policy will not cover any medical conditions which were already present when you bought your policy, nor will your cover apply if you travel against medical advice.
  • This policy is to protect you when the unexpected happens and medical claims are based on what is necessary and reasonable. Preventative treatments such as health screening and health checks are not covered.
  • You must act responsibly and report any crime against you to the police within 24 hours.  Incidents involving drugs and/or alcohol and illegal activities are not covered.

Still unsure about which cover is better suited to your needs? Visit our website at: or call us on 429 5000 or send an email to and an officer will be more than happy to go through the Policy with you.

7 tips that will help you prepare for uni life abroad

There’s nothing more exciting or more scary than prepping to leave for university, especially if you are going abroad! It can also get a bit overwhelming – especially if it’s your first time at uni.

Here are some of our top tips for facilitating a smooth transition into your uni life:

Budget! It helps if you plan your budget before you move. Check online so you can get an idea of the price for flights, accommodation, fees, daily spending and so on, so you can manage your money accordingly.

Research your accommodation options and get it sorted before you reach your destination. There’s nothing worse than turning up but having nowhere to live! A good first point of contact is your university itself, who will most likely provide or at least recommend accommodation. Decide beforehand if you would prefer to live in residence halls with other students, or rent a private place.

Build support networks! Being away from home can be tough, and culture shock is a very real thing! A good way of overcoming homesickness is by keeping in contact with both family and friends from your home country, and new ones you meet while studying abroad. It really provides a network for strong support.

Join clubs and societies. Not only does this help you find people you have common ground with, but it is a good way to expand on your existing skills and knowledge.

Immerse yourself in the culture! Being at university provides an excellent opportunity for you to broaden  your horizons and enjoy a culture that may be completely different from your own!

Familiarise yourself with public transportation. Figure out out how far away you’re going to be living from campus; whether you can walk or bike there, or  whether it’s worth investing in a student bus pass to save some cash.

Purchase Student Travel Insurance. Seriously. It may or may not be compulsory to have travel insurance where you are going, but if it’s not, we strongly recommend that you get it. A comprehensive travel insurance policy will bring peace of mind to both you and your family because you’ll know that you and your personal possessions are protected should something happen.

As you plan your time away, it’s easy to get caught up in all the adventures you’re going to have, the new things you’ll learn and of course the new classmates you’ll meet, but when going anywhere abroad, it’s just as important to be prepared for plans to go wrong.

Sacos Insurance Group offers Travel Insurance protection for students going on overseas training. For more information on the Student Travel Insurance, call us on (+248) 429 5000, send an email to or visit us at any of our branches on Mahé and Praslin.


Why a Student Travel Insurance Policy is important

shutterstock_719003161When studying overseas, any number of unforeseen events can seriously disrupt your studies. You can fall sick, get into an accident or lose a close family back home. The emotional impact of these incidents are considerable, especially in the middle of your studies. The financial burden however add another element of stress that, as a student, you should not have to deal with.

On average, university students face significant expenses. There are not only limited to rising tuition fees, but also for accommodation, bills and other service charges, books, food etc. Every now and then, unplanned expenses may materialise which are beyond the regular budget of a student.

Unforeseen expenses

Medical expenses are hard to budget for, as treatments may differ, with no standard or fixed prices. The cost for hospitalisation is exceptionally high as in-patients are charged for room occupancy and other service charges, in addition to the treatment they receive. Depending on the illness or injury, students may be required to follow regular out-patient treatment.

Legal representation is likely one of the least cause of concern for students, but an important one, nevertheless. Parents should be under no illusion as to what their children can be up to when they are far from home. While many find this new independence liberating, some may find themselves on the wrong side of the law by taking things a little too far. It goes without saying that good legal representations can be costly.

Lost baggage or passport

Life is complicated enough without the absurdity of lost baggage, but here we are. Student allowances are generally just enough to cover daily and continuous needs. To replace an entire wardrobe because of airport mishaps should not strip away from what is budgeted for food and other basic necessities. Students also have deposits to pay for accommodation and services installment, such as internet when they first move in.

Emergency return home

Sadly, on rare occasions, some students will receive a dreadful call from home with terrible news – a close family member has passed away. Students have no choice but to return home to pay final respects and bid farewell to their loved ones. Unfortunately, this is one of those events that you are least likely to budget or have the finances for. The cost of airfares are usually higher for last minute booking and the greater the distance, the higher the fare.

All this to say, a Student Travel Insurance policy is a must for an overseas student. By budgeting a nominal amount per month as part of regular expenses, all those unforeseen ones can be easily taken care of. Parents have an obligation to ensure that their children are insured whilst on overseas studies. In fact, many countries oblige foreign students to purchase their insurance before they enter the country of destination.

For more information on the Student Travel Insurance, call us on (+248) 429 5000, visit our website where you can download our brochure/request a quote, send an email to or visit us at any of our branches on Mahé and Praslin.