Does home insurance cover home rentals?

The simple answer is yes. Nevertheless, the nature of insurance coverage differs for landlords compared to tenants.

Landlords – Home Insurance

Landlords can apply for both a Building and Contents cover under the Householder’s Policy. The Building cover will insure the wall, roof, floors and other permanent fixtures of the house or apartment. The Contents cover will insure furniture and other electronic appliances belonging to the landlord alone.

Tenants – Home Insurance

Tenants can only apply for a Contents cover under the Householder’s Policy as they do not have ownership of the house or apartment. The Contents cover will cover the furniture, electronic items etc which belong to the tenants alone.

Landlords can additionally benefit from Loss of Income on Rented Building under the Building cover.

If you have a rental or you rent an apartment, contact us on 4295000 or for more information.

Insure your house today with Sacos

Sacos has a well-designed Householder’s Policy which covers home insurance in case of an unforeseen disaster.

At Sacos, our home insurance policy building cover protects your house in the event of the following disasters, subject to general conditions and exclusions:

  • Fire, lightning or explosion
  • Storm tempest or flooding
  • Bursting or overflowing of water tanks, apparatus or pipes
  • Burglary, housebreaking, theft or larceny
  • Impact by any vehicle or animal
  • Malicious damage
  • Accidental breakage of fixed glass and sanitary fixtures forming part of the building
  • Aircraft and other aerial devices dropped therefrom
  • Accidental damage to supply pipes and cables

Our building cover policy also provides you with the option of:

  • Loss of income on rented building
  • Alternative accommodation

You may also wish to add the Contents cover under your Householder’s Policy or singularly only choose the Contents cover at the moment.

For more information contact us at or 429 5000 or request a quote via our website.