In the first quarter of last year alone, an approximate SCR9,220,250 worth of damage was caused by 122 fire cases the Seychelles’ Fire and Rescue Services Agency attended to, most of which ignited from fuse boxes, faulty electrical wires in ceilings, washing machines and in the kitchen, with quite a number of electrical incidents and fires started by saucepans in the kitchen. That said, there are some ways that you can help prevent such incidents from occurring.
Fires tend to start suddenly and spread swiftly, causing a lot of damages to your home and furniture and putting lives in danger. They can be caused in multiple ways, but there are some preventive measures you can take to decrease the odds:
- Do not smoke in bed – always put your cigarettes out properly.
- Many fires start in the kitchen. Never leave a pan unattended and watch for overheating.
- Keep matches and lighters well out of reach of children.
- Fit approved smoke detectors.
- Do not use appliances with worn or damaged flexes. Do not wire flexes together.
- Never overload an electric socket or extensions.
- Have your wiring installation checked at least once every five years by an approved contractor, or straightaway if you are buying an older property.
We all know that prevention is better than cure, and these are just some of the ways you can help protect yourself. And remember, without insurance it may be very difficult to recover – both financially and emotionally – so protect yourself for tomorrow, today.