Need to know: Householder’s Insurance

Householder’s insurance policies are made up of coverages that can help pay to repair or replace your home and belongings if they are damaged by certain perils. A peril is an event that may damage your home or belongings.

Sacos’ Home Insurance consists of two elements: building insurance and home contents insurance. We also have a separate, more basic fire policy.

What is the difference between a householder and fire policy?

A standard householder’s policy provides coverage against a number of perils:

  • Fire and smoke: Your home, its structure, and your belongings will usually be covered for fire as well as smoke damage.
  • Water Damage: Homeowner’s insurance policy does not cover flooding, but they may cover water damage from burst pipes or water heaters when the cause is sudden and accidental. It will not cover damages from defect and wear and tear.
  • Theft: If an intruder breaks a window or door to gain access to your home, insurance will likely cover the damage. Items that are actually stolen are generally also protected by your contents insurance. Most policies have limits on how much they’ll pay out for specific types of personal property.
  • Falling objects: If your home is damaged by a falling object, whether it’s a meteor or a healthy tree that topples in a storm, homeowners insurance may help pay for the damage.

A fire policy however provides coverage against a specific type of risk namely fire, lightning and explosion. You also have more flexibility in terms of coverage with a householder’s policy as you can cover your building, fixtures and fittings whereas a fire policy can only provide you coverage against your building.

What does the Building insurance cover?

Building insurance would cover permanent fixtures. For example, it would normally consider fitted wardrobes, fitted kitchens and built-in appliances, as well as the bricks and mortar to be covered under a buildings policy.

What does the Contents insurance cover?

Contents policy would cover items of furniture and appliances that are free-standing or, if screwed to a wall, easily removable, TV and other electrical goods, clothing, furnishings, jewellery and art, etc.

Home insurance is about protecting the home you love and the contents that matter to you most.

For more information, visit us at our new location in town or call us on 429 5000 or send an email to to learn how you can protect your home.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s