Pick a person with a motor vehicle at random and ask them what motor insurance coverage they have, and the odds are they have a Third-Party Policy.
This is one of the most common motor insurance plan that people opt for, mostly because in their mind it is the most affordable option available. However, that decision could end up costing more than you expected in the long run!
The temptation to opt for third-party motor insurance will likely heighten during the pandemic given the higher cost of living in the country. Moreover, those currently on the motor comprehensive insurance plan may feel compelled to switch to third-party depending on their financial situation.
Opting for the third-party motor insurance plan instead of the motor comprehensive insurance plan however may not provide the policyholder with the necessary financial protection they want to seek.
When you go for a third-party cover, you are making the decision to cover only the other party’s vehicle in the unfortunate event of an accident. This means that you are leaving yourself vulnerable to finance any expenses on your own vehicle in the event of an accident or other perils.
Here are a few things you need to consider before you make that call:
- If you get into an accident where you are at fault, will you be able to pay for the repairs for damages to your own car?
- If your car is totaled, will you be able to replace it easily with a brand new one especially with the increase in foreign exchange?
- If a vehicle is an absolute necessity for your daily routine, will you be able to rent a replacement vehicle while your own is in the garage?
- What will happen to your premium if your insurance policy is paying for repairs on the other person’s car?
- Are you willing to pay out of pocket for extras, like a windshield replacement?
In order to adequately protect yourself (and your car), you need to make sure that you get insurance coverage that: matches who you are and how you drive, and allows you to have any damages repaired without you having to constantly be opening your wallet.
Opting for the the third-party motor insurance during the pandemic is understandable, but you should also consider the longterm impact to your finances if you unfortunately get into an accident or other perils.
Sadly, as many have come to realise, it is only after an accident that you appreciate how a fully comprehensive motor insurance plan is the ‘cheaper’ option!
Want to find out more? Talk to one of our agents! Pay us a visit at our branches (Maison Esplanade – Victoria, Pension Complex –Baie St. Anne Praslin, Green Corner –Providence) or call us on 429 5000 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.