You may be thinking about trying out a new weight loss regime, but have not yet found one which is right for you. No worries, while you try to work out a plan for yourself, walking is a good enough place to start.
Walking has a lot of health benefits and it is one of the most underestimated forms of exercise:
- It helps to reduce risk of stroke and heart disease.
- It is good for your heart and lungs.
- It helps you to manage existing conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol etc.
- It makes your bones stronger.
- It helps you to improve endurance and fitness.
- It helps you to graduate to more physical exercise routines.
- It reduces your body fat.
- It helps you to relax and destress.
How to get started?
- Work at least 30 minutes per day – whatever your lifestyle, you should dedicate at least 30 minutes just for walking. It does not matter where you go or where you are doing it.
- Walk home from work – if your biggest concern is where to go for your daily work, you can start by walking home from work. You may even get home earlier than usual by beating the traffic.
- Walk around your neighborhood – if you live far away from town, you can take a quick walk around your neighbourhood. Do not be self-conscious about your choice. You might even start a neighbourhood walking routine.
- Walk with a friend – get your friend to walk with you everyday. It is a great way to catch up, amidst your busy lifestyles.
- Walk your dogs – this is a great way to satisfy the daily exercise needs of your loving pets. Get comfortable and pet-friendly leashes to make the walk easier for both/all of you.
Once you have started comfortably on a daily walk routine, you can graduate to more physical fitness exercises. You might now be more comfortable to join a gym or a work-out session. If you do, you should still try to carve out some time during the day just for walking. The benefits of walking are more than just physical. It is a great way to relieve stress and bond with others.